This is my entry to Ashaji's RCI - Karnataka. Thanks asha for hosting a lovely event. For this event only I tried this rice dish called "VAANGI BHAAT". Really our family enjoyed a lot. I tried Nupur's Vaangi Bhaaat recipe . Really came out very delicious. Thanks Nupur. Here is my recipe:
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 1 hour
Serves : 3
Cuisine : Karnataka
1 cup basmati rice
6 small brinjals
2 tbsp ghee or oil
3 bay leaves
1 big onion chopped finely
5 tbsp of green leaves (mixed of coriander and mint)
salt to taste
4 green chillies (slit them length wise)
few curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
For masala paste:
1/2 cup onion (chopped big slices)
1/2 cup fresh coconut
1/2 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
3 cardamom pods
1 small piece of cinnamon stick
salt to taste
3 dried red chillies
1 tsp oil
1. Wash the brinjals, remove the stems, slit part way into quarters and keep in salt water.
2. Wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes.
3. Heat 1 tsp oil in a kadai, add all above masala paste ingredients, roast lightly, turn off the heat. Let them cool completely and then make paste with little water.
4. Stuff above masala paste into brinjals and keep aside.
5. Heat oil, add bay leaves, onions, curry leaves and green chillies, saute till transparent. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and green leaves, fry for few more seconds on low heat.
6. Add remaining masala paste and stuffed brinjals, fry for 5 minutes, add soaked rice, fry for more few seconds, then add water and salt, mix, covered, cook till done.
7. Garnish with any vegetable gravy dish. I prepared aloo gravy as combo for this vaangi bhaat. Really enjoyed lot.
Note: Nupurji mentioned some tips to prepare this dish. While preparing this dish, they are very helpful. The tips are here.
Bookmark this post: