For White Fluffy Idli :
1 Cup Whole Black Urad dal (Pottu Minapappu)
4 Cups Idli Rice
1 tsp methi seeds (Menthulu)
salt as per taste
1. Soak the urad dal along with methi seeds in enough water about 8 hours
2. At the same time soak the idli rice separately in plenty of water for about 8 hours.
3. First grind the urad dal into silky smooth batter with adding of some water. It should be in medium batter consistency, remove the batter into a wide and big vessel.
4. Next grind the idli rice into smooth paste. Add this batter to above urad dal batter, add salt, mix well with hand without any lumps.
5. Keep it covered, for overnight fermentation in a warm place (At least 7 hours).
6. By morning the batter quantity will be double. Mix lightly, Fill all the idli plates with this batter, cook them on steam for about 10-15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let them cool for more 5 minutes. Remove and serve with green raw tomato chutney or groundnut chutney or sambar.
Green Raw Tomato Chutney with Coriander :
3 green raw tomatos
1 ripe tomato
1/2 cup of fresh coriander
1 tsp oil
4 green chillies
5 garlic pods
small lemon size tamarind (Wash it properly)
1" piece ginger (Cut into small pieces)
a pinch of turmeric powder
salt as per taste
For talimpu/tadka/popu :
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp jeera
1/2 tsp mustards
1 dry red chilli
few curry leaves
a pinch of hing
1. Cut the green and ripe tomato into 4 pieces each.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil, add tomato pieces, tamarind and green chillies, covered, cook on low flame for about 10 minutes.
3. Next add coriander leaves, garlic pods and ginger pieces, mix, covered, cook on low flame for more 10 minutes or till dry content.
4. Turn off the heat, let it cool completely.
5. Grind above mixture along with turmeric and salt into smooth paste.
6. Now put the popu, heat oil, add jeera and mustards let them pop, add red chillies, curry leaves and hing, fry for 2 minutes, mix with above chutney.
7. Serve with idli, rice or dosa.
Bookmark this post: