Black Eye Peas Curry:
Prep : Soak overnight
Cooking Time : 25mts
Cuisine : Indian
1 cup black eye peas (soak overnight)
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp jeera
1 tsp mustards
1 chopped big onion
few curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 medium chopped tomatoes
1.5 tsp red chilli powder
salt as per taste
1 tsp coriander powder
1.5 cup water
chopped coriander leaves for garnish
1. Wash and soak the black eye peas overnight. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a thick bottom vessel, once heat, add jeera and mustards, let them pop, add chopped onions and curry leaves, fry till transparent on medium heat.
3. Add turmeric and ginger garlic paste, fry for 3 minutes, black eye peas, mix, covered, cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, mix gently, covered, cook for more 5 minutes. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, 1.5 cup of water and salt, combine, stirring, cook for more 15 minutes or till gravy becomes thicken.
5. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves, turn off the heat. It goes very well with rice and chapatis.
Note: 1. Finally if you want you can add 2 tsp tamarind juice for little sour taste, this is optional.
2. Skip the ginger, add crushed garlic pods and methi powder (optional).
3. Along with black eye peas, you can add some other vegetables like...Aloo, Drumsticks, Raw Bananas and Boiled Eggs also. They add more delicious and yummy taste to the gravy.
Bookmark this post: