May 7, 2007

Coconut Chicken Masala

I prepared Sailu's Coconut Chicken Masala curry as the combo of my own rice recipe Carrot Peas Pulav. Really wonderful combo of these two. We enjoyed a lot. Thanks Sailu. Here is my recipe :


Ingredients :

2 lb Chicken (Cut into medium sized pieces)
2 tbsp oil
1 big onion chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4 green chillies (Slit them length wise)
2 tbsp curd
1 tbsp whole garam masala powder
chopped coriander leaves for garnish
Salt as per taste

To make paste:

1 big onion
3 green chillies
4 tbsp fresh grated coconut
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
12 cashewnuts (soaked in 3 tbsp milk for 15 minutes)

Method:

1. Make a fine paste of above ingredients (To make paste ingredients) and keep aside.

2. Marinate the chicken pieces in coriander powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, curd and 2 slit green chillies for 30 minutes.

3. Heat oil in thick bottom wide vessel, add remaining 2 green chillies and chopped onions, fry till onions become lightly reddish.

4. Add the marinated chicken pieces, mix, cook on high heat for 5 minutes.

5. Reduce to medium heat, add the ground paste and salt, mix well(If required, add 1/4 cup of water). Let the chicken cook in this paste completely, then add whole garam masala powder, cook for more 5 minutes or till oil separates from the edges of vessel.

6. Adjust the salt and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.


7. Serve with chapati or biryani or pulav and also with white rice.

Note: 1. Be careful about quantity of fresh coconut powder, because if you use more, finally curry taste will be sweet.

2. Compare to Sailu's ingredients, here i avoided mint leaves and added curd (according to my family taste).

3. Adjust the green chillies level according to your spice level.
StumpleUpon DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google Twitter FaceBook

4 comments:

  1. hi ur chicken looks so delicious...my mom use to cook chicken with coconut and curd ..its delicious..thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 19, 2007

    Your chicken looks lovely!
    I saw the recipe on Sailu's website, and wanted to make it for ages. I decided to do it today, and then realised that Sailu's server was down, and I hadn't copied the recipe before... (I've had this problem since yesterday, has anyone else experience it?) Can you imagine my happiness and relief when I found it on your website? :) Thank you!

    I seem to remember that Sailu's recipe included some mint, so I put in a few leaves. Is that right? - - - Oooops silly me, I've just seen that this is right in your notes!

    Your pulav sounds interesting, too. I would make it tonight, but I run out of green chilies. How long does it take to prepare?

    As I'm writing this, the chicken is bubbling away happily in my kitchen! I will write a post about it soon. Once again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete