Prep : 10mts
Cooking time: 20mts
Cuisine : Andhra
3 cups fresh chopped spinach (wash and chopp it)
1/3 cup roasted and peeled groundnuts
1 tbsp oil
2 big tomatoes (cut each into 6 pieces)
4 green chillies
6 flakes of tamarind
a pinch of turmeric powder
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
salt as per taste
For Tadka/Poppu/Talimpu :
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp jeera
1/2 tsp mustards
1 tsp chanadal
1 tsp urid dal
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
few curry leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
a pinch of hing
1. Heat the kadai on medium heat, first roast the groundnuts. Let them cool, peeled and keep aside.
2. In the same kadai, add 1/2 tsp oil, add chopped spinach, fry slightly, take into a bowl, keep aside.
3. Again add 1/2 tsp oil, add chopped tomato pieces, green chillies and washed tamarind flakes. Cook till dry content, turn off the heat and let them cool completely.
4. First grind the groundnuts into powder, add cooked tomato mixture, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste and salt, make a smooth paste. If you need you can add little quantity of water.
5. Finally add half of the cooked spinach to the above paste, grind for only few seconds.
6. Now keep the tadka with oil, jeera, mustards, chanadal, urid dal, finely chopped garlic, curry leaves, coriander leaves, hing respectively. Finally add the remaining cooked spinach, again fry for few seconds, then add above paste, mix well and turn off the heat.
7. It goes very well with white rice, idli, dosa and chapatis.
Note: 1. Becareful while grinding the spinach. Grind only for 2 seconds, otherwise the color and also taste of the chutney will spoil.
2. If you want you can skip the groundnuts for different variation.
Bookmark this post: