June 18, 2007

ANDHRA CHICKEN CURRY

This chicken curry is my family's all time favorite dish. This recipe contains simple ingredients and easy to prepare. Here is my recipe:

Spicy Chicken Curry:
Prep : 35mts
Cooking time : 40mts
Serves : 3
Cuisine : Andhra

Ingredients: For Marination:
2 lb small size chicken pieces (cleaned)
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tsp red chilli powder (adjust)
3 tbsp curd

For curry:
3 tbsp oil
2 medium size finely chopped onions
few curry leaves
1/3 cup of water
salt as per taste
1 tsp whole garam masala powder
finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish

Method:
1. Clean and wash the chicken pieces. Marinade the chicken pieces with all the above marinated ingredients, kept aside for 30minutes.

2. Heat the oil in a thick bottom vessel, add onions, fry till light golden color.

3. Add marinated chicken masala, mix, covered, cook for 5 minutes on high heat.

4. Later reduce the heat to low, add water, stirring, covered, cook for 30 minutes or till chicken completely cooks.

5. If you want thick gravy(like below photo), remove the lid and keep on high flame for 5 minutes. Then excess water will evaporate.

6. Reduce the heat to low, then add salt and whole garam masala powder, mix gently, covered, cook for more 5 minutes.

7. Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Turn off the heat.


8. Serve hot with white rice or chapathis.

Note: 1.For this curry, main secret is to cook the chicken on low heat. Then only you can enjoy the yummy taste of chicken curry.
StumpleUpon DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google Twitter FaceBook

18 comments:

  1. Chicken curry looks yummy! My mouth is watering :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is curd and where can I find it?
    This dish looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hi Vijiram, thanks and keep on coming.

    @Hi Elizabeth, curd means yogurt. In any shop or dairy store, you can get it. Try it and let me know. Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and keep on visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I've got everything except the curry leaves... I'll be shopping tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouthwatering recipe.Thank you.I love your non-veg dishes:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made chicken curry last Sunday. Your recipe is definitely worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hi Elizabeth, try it and let me know. Thanks

    @Hi Asha, thanks a lot for your valuable comments.

    @Hi Cynthia, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had this for lunch and enjoyed it. Question: where do you add the 1/3 cup water? I added it at step 3 but found the sauce runny... is that the consistency it's supposed to be? I am happy to say, though, that this is the first recipe that I've made where the end product looks like the "one in the ad". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Elizabeth, really happy to see your message. I am extremely sorry to say, I missed that step (adding water) in my "method". What you have done is correct process. If you want thick gravy like in the photo, when chicken cooks completely, then remove the lid and keep on high flame. Then excess water will evaporate within 5 minutes, then add the garam masala and salt. Once again thanks to remind me this point. I will add this point in my curry method. Once again thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate your clarification! I'll be making this again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HEY!
    I was looking for a yummy chicken curry and came across this! I tried it and got something great...but for some reason mine looked more yellowish and would not turn brown.

    Please let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey... super curry... for non-veg lovers

    ReplyDelete
  13. today i tried this dish.. its wonderful!!! thank u.. but i added 2 tomatoes n 3 green chillies cut in small pieces.. Thank u ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi this looks yummy so v deceided to try this today

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is ordinary south indian chiken curry, andhra chiken is meant to be little more spicy... ingredients a little different also...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Today I am trying this dish by following all the above steps. Also I am adding tomatoes & green chiles... keep you posted

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was ok.. But, not upto the mark.. Andhra cuisine is very spicy, the ingredients shd be more n diff.. Here, red chilly pwdr is the only ingredient which is spicy..keep trying new dishes

    ReplyDelete
  18. Made it just now. Added fried, powdered poppy seeds.(I add it to most chicken curries) Came out excellent!

    ReplyDelete