June 20, 2007

FIRST TIME PARTICIPATION FOR JFI EGGPLANT

Last week I was checking all the food blogs. At that time, I saw an interesting ""JFI Event" for the month of July in Ghar Ka Khana hosted by Sangeeta. This event ingredient is maharani of vegetables "BRINJAL" OR "EGGPLANT". Thanks Sangeeta. This is my all time favorite vegetable. I used to prepare so many dishes with this brinjal. In my blog, already I was posted a recipe "Brinjal Tomato Curry".

Very much interested to participate in this delightful event. For that I prepared a simple, delicious and quick eggplant recipe, called "Baingan Bharta". This recipe can prepare in so many variations. I used to prepare in 3 variations. I learned this version from my North Indian friend keerti. Thanks keerti. Here is my simple recipe:


BAINGAN BHARTA:
prep time: 30mts (to roast the eggplant in oven or on gas stove)
Cooking time : 15mts
Serves : 2
Cuisine : Indian

Ingredients:
1 medium size purple eggplant
3 green chillies
4 garlic pods
4 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
salt as per taste

For Tempering/Talimpu/Tadka/Popu:
4 tbsp oil
1 tsp jeera
1 tsp mustards
a pinch of hing
1 tsp urid dal
1 tsp chanadal
few curry leaves

Method:
1. Make some slits around eggplant, keep in conventional microwave for 30mts on 500 degrees F or till eggplant becomes tender (like below photo). If you don't have oven then make roast on gas stove on low heat.
2. Remove the skin of eggplant, cut into medium pieces and let them cool.

3. Saute green chillies for few seconds and keep aside. Clean the coriander leaves and garlic pods and keep aside.

4. First grind the green chillies, garlic pods and coriander leaves into coarse paste. Then add the eggplant pieces and salt, make into slightly coarse paste without water.

5. For tempering heat oil, add jeera and mustards, let them pop, add urid dal and chanadal, saute for few seconds. Add curry leaves and hing. When tempering is ready, then add above eggplant coarse paste, mix, adjust the salt, fry for 5 minutes and turn off the heat.


6. It goes very well with white rice, chapathis and also for puri.

Note: 1. While making paste, don't use the water. I used mini chopper to make the paste of eggplant.
StumpleUpon DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google Twitter FaceBook

11 comments:

  1. Jyoti,you are participating for the first time? That is great.
    Baighan Bhrata looks perfect.I will try your version too.You will see LOT of Eggplant dishes in all the blogs until July 1st!:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey!! Am here for the first time.. you have a nice blog!! and I love eggplant too.thanx for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jyothi, your baingan bharta looks delicious. I have an eggplant sittin gin my fridge...will try out your recipe today itself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is yet another great brinjal recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. could you update latest recipe my email id is tony@q8living.com

      Delete
  5. wow yum looks delicious. i love brinjals too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi jyothi urs recipe is good...i'm gonna try it ASAP......

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJune 22, 2007

    lovely dish...although I am not a big brinjal fan...recipes sounds great...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Hi Asha, yes. This is first time participation of JFI events. From this time, mostly I will try to participate in all the events. Thanks for your comments and try and let me know.

    @Hi Ramya, thanks for visiting my blog and also for your valuable comments. Keep on coming.

    @Hi Tee, thanks for visiting my blog and for your comments too. Try it and let me know. Thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Hi Cynthia, thanks.

    @Hi Roopa, I love brinjals too. Thanks.

    @Hi Shanti, try it and let me know. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Hi Dilip, thanks for visiting my blog and also for your kind words. Keep on visiting.

    ReplyDelete