Very much interested to participate in this delightful event. For that I prepared a simple, delicious and quick eggplant recipe, called "Baingan Bharta". This recipe can prepare in so many variations. I used to prepare in 3 variations. I learned this version from my North Indian friend keerti. Thanks keerti. Here is my simple recipe:
prep time: 30mts (to roast the eggplant in oven or on gas stove)
Cooking time : 15mts
Serves : 2
Cuisine : Indian
1 medium size purple eggplant
3 green chillies
4 garlic pods
4 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
salt as per taste
4 tbsp oil
1 tsp jeera
1 tsp mustards
a pinch of hing
1 tsp urid dal
1 tsp chanadal
few curry leaves
1. Make some slits around eggplant, keep in conventional microwave for 30mts on 500 degrees F or till eggplant becomes tender (like below photo). If you don't have oven then make roast on gas stove on low heat.
2. Remove the skin of eggplant, cut into medium pieces and let them cool.
3. Saute green chillies for few seconds and keep aside. Clean the coriander leaves and garlic pods and keep aside.
4. First grind the green chillies, garlic pods and coriander leaves into coarse paste. Then add the eggplant pieces and salt, make into slightly coarse paste without water.
5. For tempering heat oil, add jeera and mustards, let them pop, add urid dal and chanadal, saute for few seconds. Add curry leaves and hing. When tempering is ready, then add above eggplant coarse paste, mix, adjust the salt, fry for 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
6. It goes very well with white rice, chapathis and also for puri.
Note: 1. While making paste, don't use the water. I used mini chopper to make the paste of eggplant.
Bookmark this post: