Prep time : 10mts
Cooking time : 45mts
Serves : 3
Cuisine : Andhra
2 cups sonamasoori rice
1/2 cup split yellow moongdal
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp jeera
1 tsp mustards
1 big onion chopped (cut it length wise)
3 tbsp green peas (optional)
2 medium size potato (cut into medium cube sized pieces)
4 green chillies (slit them length wise)
few curry leaves
a pinch of turmeric powder
salt as per taste
5 cups water
1. Mix rice and moongdal in a bowl, wash 3 times and keep aside.
2. Chopp onions, green chillies and potatoes and keep aside.
3. Heat oil, once heat add jerra and mustards, let them pop, add chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves, fry till transparent on medium heat.
4. Turn the heat to low, add turmeric powder, chopped potatoes and green peas, mix, covered, cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add rice and moondal, mix slowly, covered, cook for more 3 minutes. Add water and salt, mix, cook till done.
6. Serve hot with mango pickle. Really you will enjoy the taste.
Note: 1. Replace green chillies with black peppercorns. Normally this style will prepared by cheenai people i.e mostly Tamil people.
Bookmark this post: